Skip to main content

Eight Months Post Hysterectomy - Blood Work To Confirm No More Anemia

I can't believe it has been eight months since my hysterectomy.  While the first four months were a mite difficult for me, I am still so thankful I had it done.

Got my third set of labs back to today.  We've been monitoring my ferritin.  My hemoglobin has been great (in the 14 range...wow!) but ferritin had been dropping and was on the low side of normal earlier this summer.  That made me nervous.

Good news though, got my labs back and my ferritin rose by eight points!  I've never seen my ferritin rise without an infusion.  Wow!

Last year by September, I had had numerous infusions.  I have not had any since last December!  Wow!

I was so skeptical a hysterectomy would work.  I put it off and put it off.  Wish I'd done this much sooner.  There are some downsides to a hysterectomy at least to my hysterectomy and I'll blog about those soon.  But, even with the downsides, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. 

Thrilled!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had a Hysterectomy! Did it FINALLY Cure My Iron Deficiency Anemia?

Last I posted, I mentioned the possibility of a hysterectomy.  Long story short (perhaps I'll blog about that next), my surgery was canceled because the insurance company decided the day before the surgery they would not pay for it!  To say I was a mess that day is a huge understatement. Fast forward, I sent the insurance company a long letter detailing my day-to-day existence with anemia and the side effects from my too-frequent infusions. They approved the surgery. I'll blog more on the experience of surgery but I ended up having a Da Vinci Robotic Hysterectomy.  The doctor made four small incisions and operated the controls from outside my body!  Let me just say, this surgery was far more difficult on me than I thought it would be.  Recovery has been slow but, reading online, I see that is common for many women which makes me feel just a bit better. About six weeks after my surgery, I had my bloodwork done.  I was a nervous wreck.  I didn't feel anemic but, then

When Insurance Turns Down Your Hysterectomy

So, in my last post I shared that insurance turned down my surgery THE DAY BEFORE the big day! My hysterectomy was originally scheduled to happen just before the holidays.  I had been so nervous this would happen.  I admit it, I was a pest.  I called the physician's office several times in the weeks leading up to the surgery just to see if insurance had approved the procedure yet.  Each time they said no but that wasn't unusual and there was no reason the surgery would not be approved.  I called my insurance company several times.  I was told each time that this was pretty standard and not to worry.  I was skeptical because our insurance company hasn't been the easiest to work with but I didn't push it. The morning before surgery, I called my insurance company.  The gal told me that coverage was denied.  She couldn't tell me why it was denied so I called my physician's office.  They hadn't even noticed that it was declined.  I was told to continue fastin