Skip to main content

Discovering Lysteda and Slowing Down My Period Way Down!

I haven't had much to add the last couple of months.  Just been on the ever constant cycle of infusions.  I had my last infusion in June.  I decided that, despite the way iron pills affect me, I was going to find a 'gentle' iron and take it daily.   I really wanted to prolong the time between infusions.

Oh, the daily iron caused so much pain.  I 'stomached' through it but I just don't do iron pills well.  So, in July my doctor decides we should check my levels.  My ferritin was down to about 10.  So discouraging.  I lost ferritin and iron more quickly that month. 

Well, I chucked the iron pills.  Not worth it.  I also put off my infusion a month.  With a level of 10, I'm considered borderline and they are okay if I wait. 

So, had my infusion in August.

In the meantime, my OB GYN and I have been discussing what to do about my period.  Not sure my period is the cause of my iron-deficiency anemia but it can't be helping. 

A couple years ago, I made the mistake of trying the hCG diet. Biggest mistake ever! That threw my period, which has always had issues anyway, into a tail spin.  I bled heavier than ever before and was battling dizziness and the feeling of passing out.  Stopped the diet but by that time, it has already done on a number on my body.  My periods have been a lot worse since that diet to the point where I suffer from 'flooding' during many of my cycles (and anybody who has been through 'flooding' knows exactly what I am talking about).

A hysterectomy may be in my near future but we're trying a couple other things first.  Long story but an ablation is not the way we are going to go.  With a heart-shaped uterus, it could make things worse.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Lysteda.  She said it would lighten my period.  After she gave me the prescription, I got my period but it was really light (which is a rarity these days) so I didn't fill it.  Then a few weeks later, I got my period again.  It started yesterday and it was so incredibly heavy.  I was filling one of those massive overnight pads in less than an hour.  I decided to go fill the prescription.  Was surprised to find there was no copay for the generic brand, Tranexamic Acid.  I had looked online and everybody was discussing how pricy this medication was.  If it was over $100, I had vowed not to pay it but you can't beat free!

Came home and took two pills.  Wasn't expecting the utter and complete exhaustion that came along with those pills.  Took a look at the bottle and it warned not to drive or operate dangerous machinery.  No problem.  Took a nap.  Woke up about 90 minutes later and my period had slowed to spotting.  Took two pills again at bedtime and there had only been a light flow.   When I took the first two pills, I had been bleeding very heavily still.

I haven't taken them yet today because they do cause me to become very sleepy and I have a busy day ahead of me.  But, my period hasn't picked back up yet. 

The doctor and pharmacist said these pills are non-hormonal and you only take them when you have your period.

Don't know if this will prolong my time between infusions but I'll keep you updated.  Even if it doesn't, just slowing down the bleeding is so very much worth it.  I talk to so many women who do have IDA as a result of heavy periods.  Not sure if Lysteda will help but couldn't hurt to talk to your doctor. 

NEXT DAY UPDATE:  So, I was so busy carting the kids around yesterday and did not want to be sleepy so I did not take any more pills.  My bleeding was just light until about mid afternoon.  At that point it picked up but still wasn't super heavy.  I decided to wait until bed time to take more pills but by that time it was light so I didn't take anything.  Today, still spotting.  So, recap, I took two pills twice on Monday and that has been it.  It definitely changed the flow and made it much, much more manageable.  I usually only have two to three heavy days and then it is manageable.  If it is stays this way, I'll just wait until my next period and start taking it as soon as it starts getting heavy. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had a Hysterectomy! Did it FINALLY Cure My Iron Deficiency Anemia?

Last I posted, I mentioned the possibility of a hysterectomy.  Long story short (perhaps I'll blog about that next), my surgery was canceled because the insurance company decided the day before the surgery they would not pay for it!  To say I was a mess that day is a huge understatement. Fast forward, I sent the insurance company a long letter detailing my day-to-day existence with anemia and the side effects from my too-frequent infusions. They approved the surgery. I'll blog more on the experience of surgery but I ended up having a Da Vinci Robotic Hysterectomy.  The doctor made four small incisions and operated the controls from outside my body!  Let me just say, this surgery was far more difficult on me than I thought it would be.  Recovery has been slow but, reading online, I see that is common for many women which makes me feel just a bit better. About six weeks after my surgery, I had my bloodwork done.  I was a nervous wreck.  I didn't feel anemic but, then

When Insurance Turns Down Your Hysterectomy

So, in my last post I shared that insurance turned down my surgery THE DAY BEFORE the big day! My hysterectomy was originally scheduled to happen just before the holidays.  I had been so nervous this would happen.  I admit it, I was a pest.  I called the physician's office several times in the weeks leading up to the surgery just to see if insurance had approved the procedure yet.  Each time they said no but that wasn't unusual and there was no reason the surgery would not be approved.  I called my insurance company several times.  I was told each time that this was pretty standard and not to worry.  I was skeptical because our insurance company hasn't been the easiest to work with but I didn't push it. The morning before surgery, I called my insurance company.  The gal told me that coverage was denied.  She couldn't tell me why it was denied so I called my physician's office.  They hadn't even noticed that it was declined.  I was told to continue fastin

Waiting on Blood Work

It has now been a few months since my last infusion.  I love the Ferrlecit.  Although, two infusions is recommended, I've been doing one and then it is about three months before I need another.  With the Venofer, I'd have a series of five infusions over five or six weeks and still need a new round three to four months out.  This new iron is so much easier on me. I have been so fatigued the last few weeks.  It's just that fatigue that makes it hard to get out of bed and with a teen and a tween, I just don't have that luxury.  I have to get my son to classes.  He also does tae kwon do and Scouts.  My daughter dances most days of the week.  I also homeschool my daughter.  As hard as it is, I do function but the fatigue is overwhelming.  One nice thing is that I've been falling into bed at night and sleeping hard for eight to nine hours.  Always appreciate uninterrupted sleep. So, today I had my levels tested.  If my ferritin is below 10, I'm sure I'll be in